Can’t Get Rid of Halitosis? Here are the Probiotics for You
Published November 11th, 2019
Halitosis may sound like a fancy word, but it’s really just another term for bad breath. Most people think that proper dental hygiene is the key to avoiding this. But halitosis is something that your regular mouthwash or even adequate teeth brushing can’t solve.
Halitosis occurs not only after eating food with a strong smell that lingers in your mouth. It’s a chronic condition that remains for an extended period and getting rid of it will depend on its underlying causes.
Causes of Halitosis
There are several reasons why a person experiences bad breath. These include:
- Dental issues (e.g., cavities, gum diseases, cracked fillings)
- Mouth, nose, and throat infections (e.g., postnasal drip where bacteria can feed on the mucus)
- Dry mouth – saliva helps in breaking down the food on your mouth. Without enough saliva, food can stay between your teeth where bacteria can eat it up and becomes a cavity.
- Too much intake of alcohol and caffeine
- Medical condition – halitosis can be a sign of GERD, diabetes, or kidney disease.
How to Get Rid Of Halitosis?
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol. This can dry up your mouth, which leads to bad breath.
- Reduce your intake of sweet foods. These are the leading cause of cavities.
- If you have nasal and throat infections such as sinusitis, treat them with probiotics.
- The American Dental Association recommends chewing sugar-free gum to keep your breath fresh for a short amount of time until you can address the real issue behind it.
- Take probiotics. The most common cause of halitosis is the build-up of bacteria in your mouth. Probiotics are a great help in fighting off the bacteria that causes you to have bad breath.
In getting rid of halitosis, you must determine what causes you to have bad breath first. Once you identified the underlying causes of bad breath, then you can now take the appropriate steps to treat it.
How Probiotics Can Help in Getting Rid of Halitosis
Probiotics are living microorganisms that help in fighting off harmful bacteria in the body. They are often called the “friendly bacteria” because of their health benefits.
While probiotics are more common in treating gut diseases, there are now several studies where it shows how it can also address oral health issues.
One study from the University of Connecticut showed that the best way to get rid of bad breath is to colonize the mouth with good bacteria. Using probiotics will destroy the causes of halitosis, rather than using a mouthwash that only deals with its effects.
The Best Probiotics For Treating Halitosis
Probiotics are effective. However, there are a lot of probiotic strains and each has a different function. Thus, you need to use a specific probiotic strain that targets your specific oral health problem to ensure you’re getting the best results.
According to a study from the University of Connecticut, K12 and M18 are the oral probiotic strains effective in reducing the bacterial growth that causes halitosis. These probiotics are usually in lozenges form. (Related: The Benefits of Taking Probiotics in Lozenges Form)
They also found the K12 and M18 probiotic strains to be effective in reducing other mouth issues such as sore throats, gum diseases, oral thrush, and dental decay. (Related: The Best Probiotics for Strep Throat)
What You Need to Do
Rather than using mouthwash, brush your teeth twice daily and take oral probiotics instead.
However, you need to be mindful of buying oral probiotics. There are now oral probiotics that can be found in the market but only a few are proven effective, like Bionaze.
Bionaze is a probiotic supplement formulated with two-cutting edge strains, BLIS-K12 and Bl-04. Not only can it get rid of your mouth problems (including bad breath) but it can also help in treating respiratory problems which can also cause halitosis.
Benefit From The Latest Advancements In Probiotic Science With Bionaze
Bionaze is a proprietary blend of probiotics proven to promote ear, nose, and throat health, improve digestion, and support your immune system. The active ingredients BLIS K12, and BL-04 are considered among the best probiotics according to science.
Get 25% Off Your First Order when you use BIO25 at checkout!
About The Author
Judy Ponio is a professional writer based in the Philippines. Her commitment to communicating factual content in when writing is unmatched. She works hard to cross check reputable sources to ensure her work uses accurate facts.